SC - Hot drinks

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Thu Nov 12 23:45:56 PST 1998

At 2:37 PM -0800 11/12/98, Laura C Minnick wrote:
>On Thu, 12 Nov 1998, Decker, Margaret wrote:
>
>> The winter tourney is upon us here in Anesteorra and my question is - what
>> would be a good period non-alcoholic hot drink. I know that hot chocolate,
>> coffee (as we serve it today) and tea are not in period but are herbal
>> infusions and if so which ones?
>> Margarite
>
>I would think of cider- readily available in the grocery if you don't have
>a press. I mull mine with cinnamon, cloves, and orange peels.

Do we know if they drank hot mulled cider in period?

>Also, I
>understand that sekanjabin can be served hot

The chapter in the Andalusian cookbook that contains "simple sekanjabin"
also has lots of other drinks of the same general sort--flavored syrups to
be diluted in water. Some specify hot water. You can find the lemon and
pomegranate ones in the Miscellany.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/