SC - Al-Cohol

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Sat Nov 14 15:30:53 PST 1998

hi all from Anne-Marie
>At 06:55 15-11-98 -0600, Bear wrote:
>>"Alcohol of wine" appears in 1672.  Since
>>alcohol is an English word, a check of the OED should provide some of the
>>references required.
And then an enthusiastic Alisdaire does just that :)

>I just happen to have a copy right here.... 8)  [runs downstairs to grab
>volume 1]

(snip)

Its interesting that the references to the use of the WORD alcohol are so
late...its often helpful to look in culinary and health sources throughout
our period as well.

I know we dont see the use of distilled beverages in EUROPEAN :) sources
until really really late (and then they call them aqua vite, or such things
IIRC).

anybody want to check their copy of Tacitum Sanitas, etc and see if they
mention the use of distillation products?

- --AM