SC - Faux Haggis

Mordonna22 at aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Sun Nov 15 10:44:35 PST 1998

In a message dated 11/15/98 9:53:47 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
kathleen.hogan at juno.com writes:

> I have a couple of haggis recipes.  I
>  even had an Irish ex-boyfriend who made it for me once.  I love the
>  stuff, but can't get the ingredients around here.

My Scots Grandmother (Naomi Morganna LeFay Hardy DuBose) taught me to make a
beef version of Haggis:
1/4 LB beef suet
1 beef liver
1 beef heart
1 beef tripe
Beef kidneys, lungs, pancreas, spleen, etc. as available.
4 small onions
2 dried chilies
2 tsp. salt
1 Tbs. ground pepper
1 to 2 cups water

Place in a heavy stew pot and bring to a boil at high heat, then reduce to
medium low heat and simmer for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until very tender.
Chop fine and add 1 cup fine oatmeal or barley and 1 quart of water.  Return
to high heat and bring back to a boil, cover and remove from heat and allow to
stand for 20 minutes without peeking.  As Ras said, "DO NOT LIFT THE LID"

Serve immediately or chill and slice and serve with toast and mustard.

Mordonna (Because the Haralds won't allow my true name) DuBois
Barony of Atenveldt
Kingdom of Atenveldt
(Phoenix, AZ)