SC - Venison

Korrin S DaArdain korrin.daardain at juno.com
Mon Nov 16 00:17:44 PST 1998

On Sun, 15 Nov 1998 19:48:15 +0000 wulf at hilconet.com writes:
>Greetings
>	I have an odd request..I need some good medieval recipes for
>roasts of venison. I am not picky about the method of cooking...it can
be on
>spit, or in a conventional oven, but I am getting desperate for some
>variety.  This years hunting season is REALLY testing my knowledge of
>game cooking (not that it was very large to begin with lol) and I
>would really appreciate the assistance.
>
>Lady Elsbeth
>Touen

These are the only ones that I have that are medieval.

Korrin S. DaArdain
Kitchen Steward of Household Port Karr
Kingdom of An Tir in the Society for Creative Anachronism.
Korrin.DaArdain at Juno.com, (www.geocities.com/NapaValley/Vineyard/1709)

	Broiled Venison
	The Medieval Cookbook by Maggie Black Chapter 7, “Courtly and
Christmas Feasting” posted by Tiffany Hall-Graham
	The syde of a dere of hie grece. Wesch hem, do hem on a broch.
Scotch hem ovyrtwarte & ayenne crosswyse in the maner of losyngys in the
flesch syde. Rost hym; take redde wyn, poudyr of gynger, poudyr of pepyr
& salt, and bast hit till hit be thorow. Have a chargeour undyrneth &
kepe the fallyng, and bast hit therwith ayene. Then take hit of & smyte
hit as thu lyst & serve hit forth.
	6 x 1-cm/ 1/2-inch-thick slices venison fillet or haunch
	Bacon fat or lard for rubbing
	Pepper sauce for veal or venison to serve
Basting Sauce:
	350 ml/12 fl oz/1 1/2 cups red wine
	3 tablespoons oil
	1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
	1/8 teaspoon Salt and
	1/8 teaspoon Black pepper
Venison fillet was the most prized cut. It might be scored in lozenge
shapes with a knife point or parboiled and larded with salt pork before
being spit-roasted whole. Modern farmed venison, however, seems to be
tenderized better by being marinated. Combine all the basting sauce
ingredients and soak the venison slices in the sauce for at least 2-3
hours; elderly meat will need longer. Pour off the sauce into a jug when
you are ready to cook. Put the meat on a board and pat it dry, then nick
the edges of the slices and rub them all over with the fat. Thread the
slices on skewers or lay them on a greased grill grid. Heat the grill to
medium-high and grill the meat like steak until medium-rare or well done,
as you wish. (For well-done meat, reduce the temperature after searing
both sides and cook slowly.) Baste the meat with the reserved basting
sauce while cooking and turn it once using a fish slice; do not prod it
with a fork. When done, transfer the slices to a warmed serving platter,
and serve at once, with the hot Pepper Sauce in a sauce boat.
	Stekys of Venson or Bef (Cinnamon Beef)
	From Halreian MS 279. Posted by Rudd Rayfield (RuddR at aol.com)
	Take venyson or Bef, & leche & gredyl it vp broun; (th)en take
Vynegre & a litel verious, & a lytil Wyne, & putte pouder perpir
(th)er-on y-now, and pouder Gyngere; & atte (th)e dressoure straw on
pouder Canelle y-now, (th)at (th)e stekys be al y-helid (th)er-wyth, &
but a litel Sawce; & (th)an serue it forth.
	(I substitute apple juice and cider vinegar for verjuice.)
	2 pounds lean venison, beef, veal, or pork steaks
	1 T wine vinegar
	1 T cider vinegar
	3 T unsweetened apple juice
	1/4 C dry wine
	1/4 tsp each black pepper and powdered ginger
	Cinnamon to taste
	Trim the steaks and cut them into thin strips about three inches
long. Cook the meat through in a heavy frying pan, over medium heat, or
in a broiler, or on a griddle or grill. In a bowl, combine the two kinds
of vinegar, apple juice, wine, pepper and ginger. Place the meat on a
serving dish, pour the sauce over it, and sprinkle it with cinnamon
before serving. Serves four to six.