SC - Price of butter

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Mon Nov 16 02:28:06 PST 1998

Hi all from Anne-Marie

we are told:
>>whatever it takes for my hobby, within reason.  But, $10-12 a head for a
>>feast?  Is it really that expensive where you are?  At the event I ran
which was then responded to...
>That seems cheap to me.  Our local Baronial Banquet was last night (I
>couldn't go, unfortunately), and tickets were $18 a head.

Here in Seattle, we are hardpressed to find a suitable feast hall with
kitchen for less than $800 for the day. Figure a break even at the high
side of 100, and that's still $8 a head JUST for the hall. (some places are
as much as $2000 just for the day)

On top of that, the local wisdom of experience says we can do bread and
stew and fruit and cheese for $3. We can do a nice feast for $6 or so, we
can do a blow your socks off lots of fancy stuff like edible gold leaf,
fresh flowers for garnish, fresh herbs out of season, seafood, etc for
$8-10. (the pricey baronial banquets sell out every year in spite of the
high ticket price. We've offered the opportunity for a lower priced "below
the salt" feast, and there were NO takers!)

Yes, things are expensive here (thank you Bill Gates :)) but most salaries
match it (thank you Bill Gates). We still try and give people the best darn
meal they can put in their mouths for the price they pay.

I need to ask some of you more details HOW you manage to pull; in "lavish"
gajillion course meals for what we could only afford as stew and sides.

- --AM