SC - Question

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Tue Nov 17 07:45:06 PST 1998

Hi all from Anne-Marie:

LrdRas at aol.com>writes:

><< The question that keeps repeatedly flowing through my mind is , 'How do
you
> justify the writings of Platina under the heading of lard, which clearly
>state
> that there were pigs so fat they could not move around with the paintings in
>period
> illuminations? I really do not see how the justification of use of pictures
> over-rides  written text especially given that men are often portrayed as
> larger than animals in period illumination signifying man's superior roll in
> the creation.  >>

That's easy. Obvioulsy Italian pigs are much fatter than the French ones in
the Tres Riches Heures. :)

Serioulsy, its a quandrum I run into all the time. in my non-SCA
re-enactment gaggle, we are trying to go for the middle of that proverbial
bell shaped curve. If someone sees a cool hat in a picture, how many
different examples do they have to find before its suitable for use?

Platina mentions these hugely fat porkers. Are there any other verbal
references to animals like this? Oh my kingdom for a copy of de villis by
Charlemagne...

and this applies to food as well....we have a recipe for the marjoram
fishie cookies, for example. No fish, though the title says they are a fast
day item. There is a very similar recipe in Martino that calls for fish,
and I am told that it's a "scribal error". Perhaps like Cariadocs scribal
errors about saffron? ;) In any case, do we accept the "outlier" as a real
item, or do we go for that middle of the bell shaped curve item?

more philosophy...:)
- --AM