OT - Re: SC - Venison

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Nov 18 13:55:22 PST 1998

"Decker, Terry D." wrote:

> Sorry Ras, Alces americana (commonly called moose in North America) isn't
> part of the Medieval diet.  On the otherhand, A. alces (commonly called elk
> in Northern Europe) is.  A. alces is smaller than its North American cousin.
> Of course, A. americana would be suitable as a CMA substitution.

I vaguely recall seeing a Russian recipe (maybe in the Domestroi?) for a
combination dish of moose and small game animal. In translation it
reads, "Is new plan. Moose and squirrel must die." I believe the
reference is to the two-dimensional species, Alces Cartoonus.

Adamantius [Keel Moose! Keel Squirrel!]
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com