SC - Pigs revisited-long

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sun Nov 22 21:50:28 PST 1998

In a message dated 11/22/98 11:09:57 PM Eastern Standard Time,
stefan at texas.net writes:

<< What are you basing this conclusion of a "small number of period recipes
using
 pork" on? I thought someone here had given numbers that showed pork to be the
 most common meat used? >>

Al-Baghdadi has no pork recipes. The numbers on the English work given by
Cindy apparently indicate a substantial amount of recipes using pork in that
work. My use of the word rare was meant to indicate the use of fresh pig meat
as opposed to preserved ,meats like ham and sausage. I am currently trying to
calculate total numbers of recipes using fresh pork as well as those using
lard and/or bacon. Whenever that is finished I will post the results.

The citation of a single source to prove a point is, as many on this list have
pointed out, not a good thing. Using al-Baghdadi as my source I could have
said that pork was never used in period recipes which we all know is absurd.
:-)

There are many opinions on many things about period cookery. As facts are
brought to light or reinterpreted, those opinions change. Mine may very well
change and indeed have been somewhat modified over the past couple of days.
That being a given, my use of a word two or three days ago, does not
necessarily mean I would use the same word today or tomorrow. :-)

Ras