SC - OED-Accessible only to the priveleged few

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Nov 23 16:04:47 PST 1998

In a message dated 11/23/98 5:07:52 PM Eastern Standard Time,
robyn.probert at lawpoint.com.au writes:

<< I went to check the etemology of "lard" in the OED and got this message:
 You don't have permission to access /OED/oed.html on this server.

 Worked fine last time I used it... Anyone know what they're doing, or what
 their new URL is?

 Rowan >>

Yes. Apparently the OED company has dollar signs in their eyes instead of
passing on knowledge and has organized the universities into a conglomeration
that has agreed to prohibit public access to the OED over the Web. Unless you
are a paying student at a university or a faculty member, you are denied
access. This is not only appalling but shows the general state of decay and
decadence our centers of learning are becoming, IMO.

Ras!