SC - pickles

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Nov 29 18:09:12 PST 1998

Ras detailed his Thanksgiving dinner:

> Dill Picles
> Bread and Butter Pickles

What is the differance between these two? I assume the first has dill
mixed into the vinegar mixture. The second has what? Just plain
vinegar? Are these both period? I know you weren't trying to cook a
period meal. I'm just curious.

> Ham Boiled then Baked in Apple Cider

Blast! I wish I had thought of this. I could easily have done this
for our dinner if I'd thought of it. sigh.

Ras, did you change the cider between boiling and baking? Did you
use hard (alcoholic) cider? Why not just bake it? What does the
boiling add? If you change out the cider, perhaps this extracts
more of the salt?

Thanks.
  Stefan li Rous
  stefan at texas.net