SC - period jam and pudding

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Nov 1 21:14:53 PST 1998

Sindara asked:

> I am looking for information and period recipes for jam and pudding.  I
> have several cookbooks of "traditional" Jewish cooking with some
> documentation that list such recipes as fig jam, quince jam, wheat pudding
> (Cut in squares), and rice pudding (In a ring shape with rose petals jam in
> the center of the ring).  How period are these?

Do you mean period or medieval? Most of the jam recipes are really post
medieval since they require large amounts of sugar. There have been some
extensive discussions here on some of this.

Take a look at these files in the FOOD section of my Florilegium:

fruits-msg       (174K)  8/31/98    Medieval fruits and fruit dishes. Recipes.
fruit-apples-msg  (30K)  8/28/98    Period apples and apple recipes.
fruit-pears-msg   (21K)  8/31/98    Period pears and pear recipes.
fruit-quinces-msg (24K)  6/24/98    Period uses and recipes for quinces.

I'm afraid I haven't seperated out the jams/jellies from the non-jam
recipes and comments but this will get you started.

puddings-msg      (33K) 10/16/98    Medieval puddings. Recipes. Custards.

My files are at: http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net