SC - Peasants and Nobility

Brenna sunnie at exis.net
Mon Nov 2 20:37:54 PST 1998

> My supposition was that no one would chose to be a peasant when they could be
> nobility, and since this is fantasy, one can be a rich noble if one chooses,
> so why be poor?  I know the reality of poverty too well to romanticize about
> how wonderful the "simplicity" of it can be.
> I guess a lot in this game depends on the angle from which you approach it.
>
> Mordonna DuBois
> Barony of Atenveldt
> Kingdom of Atenveldt
> (Phoenix, Arizona)

It has been my experience that many people choose to be lower classes because
they like the persona and liberties that it allows them to take.  I have
acquaintances that revel in being a base class merchant (a roving monger of one
sort or another) or a rouge.  It's fun for them.  They often lead very
straight-laced lives, and they like roving around in revealing clothing and being
very free with their speech and actions.  There are many reasons to be something
other than nobility.  Some people simply think that it's more fun than having a
persona that walks around in corsets and acting very proper (not that we all do
that either, but if you're doing it, why not all the way?).

Brenna