SC - period pigs, fatter or not?

Philippa Alderton phlip at bright.net
Thu Nov 5 06:17:51 PST 1998

Ras said:

>Legitimate research and debate seems to me like a legitimate pursuit on a
cook's list. Especially when it envolves an ingredient of questionable
origin and definition.

And:

There seems to be a common occurence of squashing threads just when they
are starting  produce some hints and info. <

Ras, if there is legitimate research and debate going on, I have no
objection to any thread, however this thread has gone:

1. Ras and Anne-Marie disagree about the fat on pigs. Neither provides any
new evidence from period sources indicating either is more right than the
other.

2. Anne-Marie and Ras take this discussion private.

3. Anne-Marie and Ras return, having come to a tentative consensus.

4. Anne-Marie gives us the consensus.

5. Ras argues with Anne- Marie about the consensus.

6. Anne-Marie makes a comment, about a possible translation into the French
of lard and bacon, which she vaguely remembers having heard some where.

7. Ras jumps on this scanty eveidence as proof of his thesis.

9. Neither bother to go to a French dictionary to find out.

Now, this does not appear to be either legitimate research or debate.
Neither party is producing any new information, and the argument is simply
repeating itself.

As far as hitting the delete key goes, I'm sure I could, but I keep reading
this thread in hopes that you two, whom I know to be well informed members
of the List, might produce some new and interesting information, but so
far, it's been a bust.

And gapgof, take some Midol.

Phlip
Caer Frig