SC - sausage stuffing

Kappler, MMC Richard A. KAPPLERR at swos.navy.mil
Thu Nov 5 06:51:00 PST 1998

Clarissa asked:Is there a trick to twisting the links I don't know?

Milady, are you using real or artificial casings?  I myself use natural
casings (out of personal preference and so m'lord Ras will continue to
admit, on occasion, that he knows me ;-) and have never had a problem
with them untwisting provided everything was tight, tidy and WELL
washed.  I do have a German friend in the Bay area though, who taught me
most of what I know of sausage amking, who actually ties the skins in a
knot at the end of each link.  Understand, this takes much practice and
more dexrterity, and I myself prefer the twist (lazy lil Pucker that I
am).  Essentially what he does is, as he fills each link, he pulls the
casing off the filler tube a ways, and then quite deftly ties a knot by
feeding everything thru on itself.  Not difficult to do, but very
difficult to do well in order to avoid air pocket and such.  Hope this
helps.

Regards, Puck