SC - OT - An old recipe memory

Stapleton, Jeanne jstaplet at mail.law.du.edu
Thu Nov 5 13:47:36 PST 1998

>My late husband,  Knikolos,  used to make this dish he called Eggs
>Goldenrod.  It was toast, buttered.  Then you took a hard boiled egg
and
>separated the yolk from the white.  You took a fork and mashed each of
>them until they were crumbly.  Then, you took the white and put a layer
>on the toast, then a smaller layer of the yolk.  I think he finished it
>off with a cheese sauce, but I wouldn't swear to that.  (Maybe
>hollandaise?)

I do something similar. I start with hardboiled eggs, chopped coarse,
and
add them to a rich cheese sauce (butter, flour, milk sauce and add your
flavor of cheese until it won't absorb anymore -- I usually use sharp
cheddar), and when heated through, serve on toast. It has no name, and
is
only slightly changed from something my mother made. She's from a German
background, which may help, or not, as another family egg favorite is
something we've called flat-down eggs, and is remarkably close to
frittatas, which are Italian, of course.

	...and Morgana was the cheese sauce version source, of course,
	to which I was referring yesterday, although we didn't generally
	reserve the yolks for the top (i sucked
	down more than my share at dinners at her place).  Last night
	my housemate cited the version with the chopped egg whites in
	white sauce and said that she used to do it as a way to make
	one egg stretch to breakfast for two people.

Berengaria