SC - Period pigs,-the final word for a while

I. Marc Carlson LIB_IMC at centum.utulsa.edu
Thu Nov 5 21:07:26 PST 1998

<LrdRas at aol.com>
>Thank-you, m'lord for posting these references. As soon as I get my grubby
>hands  on these tomes and go over them I will post a synopsis and my
>conclusions...

You are welcome.  If it's of any furlther help, I did some rooting
around (much of it at "www.ansi.okstate.edu/swine" and it looks to me
like tracing the medieval pig breeds will be even more tricky than
the Cattle.  For one thing, the terms are deceptively similar, although
difference (for example: "Landrace" in cattle is a general term for an
unimproved ancetral breed, whereas in swine it is used to refer to a
specific breed, first found in Denmark in the 1890s, and the various
national breeds that derive from them).

It does appear that reproducing medieval pigs may be a bit of a problem
since the larger pigs we have today seem to be descended from an influx
of Chinese pigs in the 1700s.  You might look at the Welsh, the Tamworth
(which is probably derived from the "Old English Hog", the Berkshire
(which purports to date back to Cromwell), and the Ossaban Island Hogs,
in Georgia, which have been relatively untouched since a Spanish shipwreck
in the 1500s.

Good luck, if I can be of any help, please let me know.

Marc/Diarmaid