SC - Roast Eggs in Lent

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Thu Nov 5 14:10:50 PST 1998

Clare Elena wrote:
>> A friend and I are working on a recipe from the Noble Book of Cookery for
>> Roast Eggs in Lent. The basics (from my notes) are to blow out the eggs,
>>wash
>> the shells, then take thick milk of  almonds, heat to the boiling point, put
>> in a cloth and strain it, let the water drain out. Put to it (we assumed the
>> solids) berme, white sugar, ginger, cinnamon and color with saffron.  Roast
>> the eggs and serve.

and asked why the berme (yeast) was used.

I would not assume the solids, I would assume the liquid part of the
almonds milk; but try both and see.  Maybe the yeast is to thicken it?
Don't know.

Margali wrote:
>i would figure to add the eggs to the almond milk to make a custard flavored
>with the rest of the goodies, pour it back in the shell, seal the hole with
>something like a piece of dough or parchement and then cook to make hard
>boiled
>eggs faked with custard as a warner.

The reason you don't do that is that it would (horrors!) violate the rules
for Lent, which do not allow eating eggs.  That is why you are making fake
eggs in the first place. Probably they would have accumulated the egg
shells before Lent when the eggs could still be eaten.

Elizabeth of Dendermonde/Betty Cook