SC - Period pigs,-the final word for a while

Bagbane at ix.netcom.com Bagbane at ix.netcom.com
Sat Nov 7 10:40:16 PST 1998

Sorry to jump in late, my HD crashed and I had to set-up my 486
to do web stuff.

As to the question of Medieval pigs, Yes they were leaner. I was
watching a program at 2:30am on the local educational channel
about 'Old Breed' animals. It seems that there is an intrest in trying
to save 'Old Breed' animals among farmers. One of the examples
they gave was a breed of pig that was known back in medieval
times. It seems that this breed didn't grow as fast as the more
modern breed and took longer to get to a weight to go to market.
Modern breeds grow faster becouse of the fat content. This breed
was more muscle than fat thus a leaner cut of meat. They were
also talking about an 'Old Breed' of cow that could give milk for 7
years instead of the normal 3 for a Jersy. The Jersey gives more
milk but in the long run the old breed was cheaper to keep in the
long run and didn't have some of the problems associated with the
Jersey. It seems that some times faster and bigger isn't always
better. :-)

Badger