SC - Flavored Vinegars

Valoise Armstrong vjarmstrong at aristotle.net
Sat Nov 7 13:18:26 PST 1998

Christianna asked:
>A fellow in my group asked me last night about period recipies for
>flavored vinegars.  Any ideas?

Looking through Rumpolt's Das New Kochbuch I found a flavored vinegar I'd
never seen before

Wenn man gedoerrten Meerrettichwurzeln pulverisiert in Essig thut/ macht jn
bald scharpff.
When one puts pulverized dried horseradish in vinegar it makes it sharp
before long.

Sabina Welser also has a vinegar recipe on kind of a large scale:
	Take a jug into which can hold twenty quarts and  spread it with pitch,
next take two pounds of tartar and pound it small and put it into the jug,
take four ginger roots, some thirty or thirty-two peppercorns, take
fourteen quarts of good vinegar and pour it in the jug, take six quarts of
good wine and bring it to a boil and skim it off. Afterwards let it cool
somewhat and pour it into the jug and let it stand for four weeks. See that
you do not stir it up, then it will be good and keep well.

Has anyone ever tried to make vinegar from wine or beer? I've seen several
recipes that call for hanging a cloth bag of sourdough in the wine or beer
and letting it ferment, but I don't have any sour dough starter right now
so I haven't given it a try.

Valoise