SC - Tablecloths and Christmas feasts

Bonne oftraquair at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 8 16:30:57 PST 1998

CONNECT at aol.com wrote:

> Good My Lord Ras writes:
>
> <<It was all in all a rather minor day with the
> actual celebrations occurring on Epiphany>>
>
> What is this holiday? I know the dictionary definition of epiphany, but I
> didn't know it was a whole holiday in and of itself.
>
> Yours gratefully,
> Rosalyn MacGregor
> (Pattie Rayl)

You snipped a bit quickly, my lady.  Lord Ras said "on Epiphany or Twelfth
Night" Not meaning a choice between the two, but because Twelfth night is
Epiphany.

some old timers please answer

Twelfth Night has become an SCA-holiday because
1) it was more appropriate to celebrate it than actual Christmas
2) these days it has become disassociated with Christmas, so we can celebrate
it without quite running afoul of the rule to avoid religious activity.
3) in the days when more members were young and college aged, it was easier to
get together after exams and Christmas holidays than before/during when mom
expected you home (and many of us are still otherwise occupied during that time)
4) all of the above

??

Bonne