SC - Butter?

Groulx, Michelle MGroulx at NRCan.gc.ca
Tue Nov 10 08:28:29 PST 1998

Ras answered...
	In a nut shell, yes. Most butter available in the USA is the
disgusting stuff
	labeled 'sweet creamery butter'. This is made from fresh cream as
opposed to
	slightly fermented cream.

	Leaving the butter cream set out over night to sour is how butter
was
	originally made until the dairy industry decided it 'saves' time to
do it the
	other way. The resulting 'sweet butter' product is for the most part
tasteless
	when compared to butter made in the traditional way. Thankfully,
there are
	some states where butter can be gotten that is still  made the
'right' way.
	West Virginia is one of them and I always stock up on butter when I
go to WV.
	Another good source for good butter is the Amish.

Well ya learn something new everyday. Its funny that I never noticed this
when I visit the u.s. as I am pretty picky when it comes to butter and I
hate margarine. Another good source for real real butter here in Cda is from
the Mennonites. They make THE most amazing butter and preserves and I have
been purchasing them for years. In the last few, however, it has become
increasingly trendy to have the "Hubbard" label in your fridge. <sigh>

Micaylah
- -who imagines that Mennonite butter would be ambrosia to you guys-