SC - Flavored Vinegars

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Nov 10 22:34:56 PST 1998

LYN M PARKINSON wrote:

> I've never heard of a beer or ale vinegar--malt vinegar, yes.  Is this
> from ale, you brewers out there?

You sometimes see references to alegar, which is vinegar made from ale,
the suffix "egar" meaning sour, as in the (I think) Old French vin
aigre, or sour wine. So alegar or ale "vinegar" does indeed come from
soured beer or ale.

Modern malt vinegar is made a bit differently, though, because I believe
it is made directly from the malt, without any need to ferment it into
an alcoholic beverage first. But, chemically, it's nearly identical to alegar.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com