SC - Recipes for Powder Douce (long)

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Nov 11 21:11:49 PST 1998

Morgan MacBride asked:

> I posted a question earlier this week asking what the ingredients in the
> spice mixture powder douce are and haven't got any answers yet.  Adamantius,
> Cariadoc, Ras -- anybody? I'm getting desperate.  I need to use it to redact
> a recipe I'm doing this Sat. -- yikes!

I had to look a bit, but the following was in Lord Ras' recipe for Compost in
my sauces-msg file. I hope this isn't too long or too much repetition from

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net
- ---------------------
> Powder douce:
> 1 cp sugar
> 1 tsp ground cloves
> 2 tsp ground cinnamon
> 2 tsp ground ginger
> 1 Tblsp ground cubebs (opt.)
> 2 tsp groung galingal (opt.)
> 1 Tbsp grains of Paradise (opt.)

And the following is from a recent message by Adamantius, that is not in my
files, yet:

> As far as I know, we don't really know what was in most of the medieval
> pre-mixed spice powders, except for Hippocras powder (which I've occasionally
> used quite successfully in recipes calling for powder forte, BTW), and a fine
> spice powder recipe in Le Menagier de Paris. What we really have to go on,
> apart from a general knowledge of what Eastern spices were imported and used
> in the cookery of the medieval European nobs, is that powder forte should be,
> well, forte (strong), while powder douce should be douce (sweet), and powder
> blanche should be white, etc. Fine spice powder is, of course, fine ;  ).
>
> So, we end up with the idea that, say, cloves, cinnamon, and maybe some nutmeg
> would be good in a powder douce, while pepper, galingale, grains of paradise,
> and cubeb might make a good powder forte. Since there are a limited number of
> things that would make a whitish combination, we assume things like Columbine
> ginger and refined sugar might be in blanche powder... .
>
> I believe you do find some recipes for some of these powders in the very tail
> end of period, at which point the mixtures are largely obsolete anyway, and
> there's no guarantee that what is in them reflects closely what was in them
> in earlier centuries.

And two more messages from recently. Not sure if these are Poudre Douce or
other sweet spice mixes.

- ------