SC - Bread Soup Bowls

kat kat at kagan.com
Thu Nov 12 13:32:03 PST 1998

Pardon me for being so far behind; I hope this thread isn't irrelevant by now...

Bear, Keeper of the Cathedral Ovens, writes:

> Warning:  Edible bread doughs will leak if you put a lot of liquid in them.
> If they are dried out (4 days old like trenchers) they will absorb more
> liquid, but they will still leak.  Put the bread bowl inside a regular bowl.
> That's more fun than soup dribbling off the table

What we always did with these was, after cutting off the tops and scooping them out, we lightly brushed the insides of the "bowls" with a little olive oil and
put them back in the oven for a while (like, 20 minutes or more).  The bread, while still deliciously edible, is now crunchy and much sturdier and will hold
longer (but the just-in-case plate underneath is *always* a good idea!) and the crumbs can always be used as a period thickener for your soup/stew...   :-)

Just my US$0.02...

	- k