SC - OT? Price of butter

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Thu Nov 12 18:37:05 PST 1998

In a message dated 11/12/98 1:11:20 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Deanna.Knott at GSC.GTE.Com writes:

<< Could someone tell me why butter has gotten *sooo* expensive here in the
 Northeast?  It is nearly $4 a lb.

 Avelina

The federal government used to regulate the butter industry by buying all the
surplus butter. When the regulations were rescinded , the industry was unable
to cope with 'supply and demand'. They have only enough butter stockpiled to
provide the population for 30 days. As the holidays approach comsumer demand
will skyrocket causing even more shortages and resulting higher prices. There
was an article in the paper 2 weeks ago explaining all of this better than I
am. :-( Anyway, an industry spokesman admitted they made an error and don't
know how to fix it. In the meantime we get the 'benefits of higher and higher
butter prices with production unable to meet dejmand. :-(

Ras