SC: travellers food was... Re: SC - Stuff inside bread (was: Bread Soup Bowls)

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Fri Nov 13 20:54:35 PST 1998

we are asked about items as travellers food (ie the medieval equivalent of
gyros, tortilla wraps, sandwiches, etc).

According to Alexander Neckam, a wandering clerk of the 12th century, He
would buy his food in the town he was bedding down in. The inn would cook
it (a chicken, some bread, etc). He would have some for dinner and the next
day would set off down the road again, the leftovers in his pocket or
wallet. (check out _Daily Living in the 12th Century_ by Urban Tigner
Holmes, Jr.). Lunch was taken by the side of the road.

we also have pictures of peasants taking simple meals in the fields, a bowl
of something (soup? beer?), bread, cheese.

The SCA custom of filling breadbowls with chili, forcemeat, brie and
mushrooms, etc and calling them rastons appears to have nothing to do with
medieval European cuisine (alas!). Its interesting that there's a middle
eastern version, though, and apparently a very late Spanish one. Hmmm!

- --AM