SC - private-European vs. Middle Eastern

Caitlin Cheannlaidir caitlin at phosphor-ink.com
Sat Nov 14 19:23:18 PST 1998

At 09:55 PM 11/14/98 -0500, Ras wrote:

>>I am having trouble convincing the Shire to sponsor a Middle
>Eastern 'schola'. One of the persons objecting says that we can't do it
>because it's not 'European' therefor sponsoring it would put the Shire in a
>position of violating Corpora. We have a meeting tomorrow to discuss it and
>I'm afraid I have little ammunition to back me up. :-(

Were there, in period, times in which those in Europe were fascinated with
the customs of the Middle East?  If so, can you have it taught "in persona"
by travelers telling tales of their experiences, merchants explaining
imported wares, and so on?

On a slightly less constructive but more realistic note... this is a silly
objection.  Nobody takes "corpora" that seriously, that we draw bright
lines on what we can and cannot study accordingly; rather, folks use it as
an excuse to object to something they don't want to do for other reasons.
The BOD will not descend on your shire from on high and dis-affiliate you
for studying illicit subjects.

Tell you what... take these legalists, involve them in the debate about
angels and pinheads<g>, and before they look up, the scola will be done and
over with.

- --Caitlin Cheannlaidir
  caitlin at phosphor-ink.com
  http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Gallery/7249

	Interested in making glass beads?
	To join the SCA-Glassworker's List, send "subscribe" as the text of a
	message to <compagnia-request at phosphor-ink.com>