SC - Shopping savvy for Feasts-revisited

Thu Nov 19 06:59:48 PST 1998

> I wouldn't expect all suggestions to be of interest to all cooks, but I
> think
> a lot of folks would find something of use in such a list. I know that
> some
> will think making their own bread is a great way to save money and others
> will consider it ridiculous for themselves. Some may say to use margarine
> instead of butter, while likely some of you zealots :-) will disagree.
>
> Stefan li Rous
> stefan at texas.net

I for one, think baking your own bread is a fine way to save money as well
as improve the flavor of the feast.  I commonly bake breads that you can not
find or are so expensive that purchasing them would destroy the budget.
Fresh bake goods are a signature of my feasts and other cooks ask me to bake
for their feasts.

The down side to baking your own is that doing it fresh requires a lot of
work over a short period and the oven capacity to handle the production,
while baking in advance requires freezer space.

The difference of opinion as to whether it saves money and is worth the
trouble is based mostly on the skills and experience of the people  who will
do the baking.

I prefer butter to margarine, but will use margarine where it is applicable.
Both are in the refrigerator.  I buy my olive oil in 3 liter cans and my
extra virgin olive oil in smaller quantity.  Regular olive oil is for
cooking, extra virgin is for sauces and dressings.  I also have peanut oil,
corn oil, sesame oil, vegetable oil, vegetable shortening, and canola oil
(canola oil is a scribal error, I was given the bottle).  At present, I am
out of lard, wlamut oil and almond oil.  Yes, I use all of these for
different applications in cooking and baking.  I may even use the canola for
tempering my cast iron, where the flavor shouldn't matter.

Bear