SC - Shopping savvy for Feasts-revisited

Kiriel & Chris kiriel at cybergal.com
Thu Nov 19 23:56:21 PST 1998

Robyn Probert writes:

> >With the exception of peas (which are more expensive in their pods
> >plus a lot of work to shell) I find it hard to imagine that anyone would
> even contemplate buying frozen vegetables - are you serious??

To which Caitlin replied:
> I don't have access to much in the way of garden space/workers (I had a
> garden for years, but am not physically up to keeping one these days...my
> herb garden is almost more than I can handle.) I am limited to those
> veggies in season and available at the farmer's stands (which isn't too
> much).  When I do find a good buy, I usually freeze it for later because
> frozen vegetables are the ONLY option IMHO to fresh...canned veggies
> (other than tomatoes) are horrible, mushy things.

> Caitlin NicFhionghuin

I see.  I forget sometimes how very lucky we are to be here.  It can
actually be quite hard to figure out seasonal cooking where I live, as
you can buy pretty much anything at anytime. If you really want peaches
or blueberries in the middle of winter, you can have 'em, fresh and
glorious. Just more expensive, especially for stone fruit.  But often,
just as cheap...
Canberra imports most of its food from around the country or overseas,
and if it is out of season in Australia, it just comes in from another
country.

Kiriel