SC - Castrated bulls

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Nov 21 21:01:46 PST 1998

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 11/21/98 10:55:21 AM Eastern Standard Time, troy at asan.com
> writes:
>
> <<  I don't
>  recall seeing any evidence regarding the production or consumption of
>  castrated steers (probably either because cattle were sometimes expected
>  to do a little work before slaughter, or else because even immature
>  bulls tend to become upset when you slice off delicate portions of their
>  anatomy, and express their displeasure in various violent ways). Has
>  anyone ever heard of a period example of castrating bulls or pigs to
>  produce large, docile meat animals?     >>
>
> The term used to describe a castrated bull is 'ox'.  Hope this helps.

Um, not much, although I'm sure your intentions were good. Knowing the
term "ox" (a term I was aware of, of course, but ignored in favor of
terms that more clearly designate meat animals today) doesn't really
differentiate it from steers, which I gather are normally castrated at a
younger age than the bulls castrated for oxen. Some steers, I gather,
are never castrated at all, but it's my understanding most are.

My point was that I wondered how well we can prove, or seem to prove,
all of what you deduce about Platina's use of the word "porcus" when the
word can be translated as pig or hog, while the other standard Latin
word, "sus", designates pig, swine, sow, or hog. What I can deduce from
his choice of word is that he definitely means swine, and means neither
sow nor wild boar (which is another word entirely), and not much else.
The finer points of pig vs. hog would seem to be lost to us from
Platina's perspective, and the possibility still exists that Platina
never knew the distinction existed, not being a farmer.

Is there any possibility that you're making some assumptions based on
what you know about modern pork farming, and assuming that the methods
employed by your grandparents and their immediate ancestors are the
methods that were widely used in period? I mean, "I don't see why not"
is certainly a good logistical starting point, but not exactly conclusive.

Adamantius
Østgardr, East
- --
Phil & Susan Troy