SC - OT - inalienable freedom of speech

R. Trigg rtrigg at hoflink.com
Thu Nov 26 09:16:31 PST 1998

Brenna said in Re: SC - OT - inalienable freedom of speech at Nov/25/1998,
Wed 23:47:37.

> And another thing is that it's not a guaranteed right.  Ever met someone
> who tells a police officer or judge to "Go to hell?" It's not a pretty sight.  Exercise
> your freedom of speech, just not at anyone in authority.  Most of our rights have
> loopholes, most for good reason.  Exercise your freedom of religion, just
> don't infringe on anyone elses' rights in the process (ie don't use them as human
> sacrifices or pursecute them for your religion).  Exercise your freedom of  press,
> unless it's a matter of national security.

Actually, you are always free to express your opinion (politely), even to
someone in authority; you are *not* free to obstruct the function of an
officer of the law (which telling them to "go to hell" effectively does)
nor are you free to cause a riot or disturbance with your words (the famous
example of yelling "fire" in a crowded movie theater) nor are you free to
libel or slander someone.

Unfortunately, too many Americans take their freedoms for granted and
blithely forget that there *are* limits. Even worse, too many want to
further curb what freedoms we have, forgetting that once you start picking
and choosing who gets to have these freedoms, sooner or later no one will
have them.

Nostas'ia Stepanova