SC - OT - inalienable freedom of speech

Brenna sunnie at exis.net
Thu Nov 26 09:36:12 PST 1998

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 11/26/98 9:53:01 AM Eastern Standard Time, sunnie at exis.net
> writes:
>
> << Mom tends to take education seriously and even augments what the teachers
>  teach with outside information.
>
>  Brenna >>
>
> Considering the sorry state that education is in this is a good thing. I
> didn't learn that Alexander the Great had homosexual relationships, Edger
> Allan Poe wrote under the influence of opium or that the slaughter of the
> American Indian by the US gov't was a systimatic program of genocide until
> after I became an adult. It puts a whole new perspective on history.
>
> Ras

I learned about the opium thing in 6th grade.  I had a teacher that thought it
was important to explain how certain authors came up with the scary or
surrealistic things they wrote.  The genocide thing was apparent to me at a young
age based on Hitler and the death marches I learned about.  No one actually ever
told me, I just kind of figured that uprooting families set up for winter,
stealing their stores and marching them through snowstorms to a "safe settlement"
was never intended to help them.  Go figure!  I didn't know about Alexander the
Great, but I found out the rumours of King Richard's liasons as an adult.  Sorry,
Catholic school doesn't teach you everything.  A great help to me was the fact
that I loved to read.  If they didn't teach it, I found out anyway.  Teachers
either loved me or hated me depending on whether they were good at their job or
inept.  I taught a few courses that I took because the other students wouldn't
have passed otherwise.  And a few teachers loved that I had a great way of
proving wrong an "accepted fact" by a simple proof.  Of course, I still have one
who can't understand that the "accepted fact" that any fraction with a 0
denominator is an empty set/impossible answer is negated by a fraction with both
a numerator and denominator of 0 which would be "any real number" for a
solution.  Go figure that an 8th grader figured that out, and the 45 year old
math teacher couldn't make the logical jump.  I have hope that my children can do
the same someday, though a few teachers may resent it.

Brenna