SC - OT - inalienable freedom of speech (and black pepper)

Jessica Tiffin melisant at iafrica.com
Thu Nov 26 12:40:01 PST 1998

Greetings, the list.

Bear said:
>I have long felt that the reason the United States has been successful with
>its Constitution is that the intent, the ideals and the goals were the
>subject of one of the greatest public debates in history, that much of the
>debate was carried on among the general population, and that the politicians
>listened and reached a workable consensus.

This is hopeful for us, at any rate.  South Africa has just put together a
brand spanking new Constitution which must be one of the most liberal in the
world, and which has been arrived at by exactly this process - lots of
debate, argument, input from various sources, and general political hooha.
It's nice to think there's reason to hope it may just work!  (Million to one
chances crop up nine times out of ten...?)  South Africa's human rights
record until recently does not otherwise encourage one to be too sanguine,
really.

To return to this bizarre cookery topic thing... :> - an odd thought
occurred to me today while cooking supper.  Would medieval use of ordinary
black pepper have been in the finely ground form?  I've always used a pepper
grinder which produces small chunks rather than a powder.  But all my
cinnamon, ginger, etc, is very finely powdered - would the medieval cook
have been able to get it this fine?
Curiosity strikes!
Melisant

Melisant de Huguenin  *  Jessica Tiffin * melisant at iafrica.com
Seneschal, Shire of Adamastor, Drachenwald (Cape Town, South Africa)
Sable, three owls, wings elevated, argent, each maintaining a willow slip vert.