SC - Table Puppies

Mon Nov 30 19:46:27 PST 1998

Dogs in paintings with food.  Okay.  I'm not very familiar with breeds of
dog, so I've probably erred on the identification.  Here are a few for your
collection.

Bear

Carlo Cane, The Hunting Picnic, mid-17th Century, there is hunting hound I
can't identify, but the visible conformation does not match a greyhound or
whippet.

Vincenzo Campi, The Kitchen, mid to late-16th Century, King Charles Spaniel.
	The Fish Seller, possibly a Maltese (European lap dog from
Antiquity) or a spaniel.
	The Poultry Seller, Maltese (?)

Aristocrats At a Lunch Eating Gamberi, from Theatrum Sanitatis, 14th
Century, mastiff (?).

Jacopo Bassano, The Element of Earth, mid to late 16th Century, spaniel.

Giovanni Garzoni, The Old Man of Artimino, mid-17th Century, mastiff (?).