SC - pickles and hams

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Nov 30 23:07:03 PST 1998

Ras replied to my questions about the ham he cooked for Thanksgiving and then
asked:

> No problem. I thought you would have mastered this technique when you were
> playing with your Smithfield. :-)

Yes, I have done it. Once or twice does not make me a master of doing it. I'm
always interested in hearing more details or techniques. It wasn't clear from
your first message that you had boiled it in water first. Having done that,
then the second boiling in cider probably would not have removed that much
more salt and thus I could see using it for both boiling and baking. But in
that case, does the seperate boiling in cider really do anything different
than taking it from the boiling water and baking it in the cider?

Thanks,
  Stefan li Rous
  (and I am not trying to be difficult. Really, I'm not)