SC - meat pies

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Sun Nov 1 11:12:05 PST 1998

hi all from Anne-Marie

we are asked about non-sweet meat pies...

round here some favorites are:
- --tartes of flessche (14-15th c. English). USe less fruit for less sweet
flavor
- --ramequins of flesche (17th c. French. decide for yourself if its period
enough or not :)). Meatloaf flavored with herbs and served with lemon
- --pastellum (13th c. N. European). Chicken with sage and bacon in pastry
- --the one we recently did from Sabina Welsin that's chicken and bacon and
grapes in pastry (yum!!!!!)
- --turkey in the french fashion (17th c. English) turkey with grapes, nuts,
etc in pastry

the thing is that the medieval palate thought meat and sugar was a really
great combo. So do modern palates (how many people put katsup on
everything?), actually. If you find that many already reconstructed recipes
contain too much fruit or sugar for your taste, feel free to decrease it
from a main ingredient to just enough to make things interesting.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you'd like any specific recipes...I'm
pretty sure many of those have been posted earlier.
- --AM