SC - Fw: Klibanos

Philippa Alderton phlip at bright.net
Sun Nov 1 22:00:03 PST 1998

Here's more good information on early Byzantine cooking and sites, for
those who may be interested.

Phlip
Caer Frig
Barony of the Middle Marches
Middle Kingdom

Southeastern Ohio

Phlip at bright.net

Never a horse that cain't be rode,

- ----------
: From: Peter Raftos <greeting at zip.com.au>
: To: phlip at bright.net
: Subject: Klibanos
: Date: Sunday, November 01, 1998 6:42 AM
:
: YES PLEASE!! The more URL's the merrier. Most of the guy's I know are
: heavily into researching weapons,fighting etc. I find the social history
: side a lot more fascinating. Since I look like a hairier version of
: Danny De Vito you can imagine my interest in social history hovers quite
: near anything edible or potable. On the New Varangian Guard URL are some
: Byzantine recipes. Can't say where we got them from but I hope to add
: some myself.
: http://www.physics.mq.edu.au/~gnott/Miklagard/Articles/ByzRecipes.html
:
: You will find Dalby's references tantalising. The 1984 Taxiarchos Kolias
: article which I loosely translate as " Mess practice and Provisioning in
: the Byzantine Army" is 'Essgewohnheiten und Verplegung im Byzantinischen
: Heer' in Byzantinos. Festschrift fur Herbert Hunger zum 70. Geburtstag,
: eds,W. Horander et al., Vienna,pp.193-202. Sorry my e-mail - read I -
: can't do scharfes s or umlauts;)
: Some other foodish things to look at can be found here
:
http://www.uni-heidelberg.de/subject/hd/fak7/hist/o1/logs/mt/t7/940815-052/i
ndex.html
:
: And a little general Byzantika here:
:
http://www.uni-heidelberg.de/subject/hd/fak7/hist/o1/logs/mt/t5/940223-029/i
ndex.html
:
: An interesting review of an interesting lecture can be found here:
: http://www.bway.net/~halsall/texts/byzeur.txt
:
: Another publication you may find of interest in researching the ethnic
: make up of Byzantium - which I will have to get around to reading one
: day myself - but comes highly recommended is 'Studies on the Internal
: Diaspora of the Byzantine Empire' ed. Ahrweiler and Laiou.
: Have you visited the Dumbarton Oaks URL?
: http://www.doaks.org/Byzantine.html
: You probably have. Oh well enough of me getting carried away with
: Byzantika. And yes any info on joining an early cooking list would be
: great.