SC - Bible as a Primary Source, and other stuff

Margo Hablutzel Margo.Hablutzel.margolh at nt.com
Mon Nov 2 10:37:46 PST 1998

Phillippa asked:

>> why would not the Bible be acceptable as a period source?

Aside from the translation problems, it does not have recipes!  <G>

Also, most of the Jewish dietary rules are NOT in the Bible, but in the
analysis, interpretations, and other laws called "Halacha."  These are found
in the Talmud, not the Torah (Bible).  Simchat Torah is the holiday that
celebrates the giving of the Torah to the Jewish people (Moses brings
tablets down), so of course it is not in the Bible.  In fact, a number of
Jewish celebrations are not in the Bible, as they celebrate historical
events, such as Chanukah.

For those wondering, in a number of fields including but not limited to
cooking, "traditional" means "done at least one generation before this one."
Fruit jams can be tracked into pre-1600 times; other receipts may not be.
And isn't it said that in the SCA, if you do things thrice it is a
tradition?

And I don't think using lemon juice to curdle milk for cheese was done in
period; they used rennet, or the lining of a cow's or calf's stomach.
Lemons are hard to grow I the north, so it would simply have not been
available.  Rennet is available today in pellets or powder.  Probably the
lemon juice was suggested because people get really squeamish about animal
bits.

- ---= Morgan

PS:  Thanks for the note about KWH.  It's been about eighteen years since I
read one; guess it's time for a refresher course!

	           |\     THIS is the cutting edge of technology!
<mailto:Hablutzel at compuserve.com> Hablutzel at compuserve.com
	                   Morgan Cely Cain * Steppes, Ansteorra
	        (although this week, in Elveglast/Buckston-on-Eno, Atlantia)

	                     May God have mercy on my enemies
	                     For they shall certainly need it.

	      For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism.

                I intend to live forever -- so far, so good!