SC - private-Catilin

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Nov 3 18:10:02 PST 1998

In a message dated 11/3/98 7:38:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,
kathleen.hogan at juno.com writes:

<< My dream of the SCA....where people are accepted on their merits, not
 their bank books.  Where people are recognized for who they are, not who
 they know.  Where people can enjoy their research and have their fun
 too.

 Catilin NicFhionghuin >>

Most beautiful and noble Lady Catilin NicFhionghuin, upon whom I dare not gaze
for fear of for fear of being blinded by your visage, do I, al-Sayyid A'aql
Ras al-Zib does send greetings. May your coffers overflow with gold and your
barrels be filled with fishes if such be the will of Allah

My heart goes out to you, m'lady. :-( I understand completely your pain and
frustration.  Try serving as an officer for many years and excelling in your
art with no recognition beyond your house and shire.  Your continued diligence
in staying with the SCA despite your horrible experiences is to be commended
and is an example to us all.

Your shire officers should wake up and smell the roses.  Their behavior is
abominable!  The situation you describe at the event regarding high table is
inexcusable.  Such situations, if they are recurring are more than grounds to
request a Court of Chivalry.  Unfortunately such an action must be approved by
the very people that you would needs have  to take action against. ;-(
However, if you really want to serve as an officer and are capable, you do
have the option of contacting the Kingdom officers and explaining your
situation exactly as you have described it here.  You will have at least had
the satisfaction of reporting a blatant abuse of power and possibly might even
be appointed to an office by the Crown which has the sole authority in such
matters.  It sounds to me, from what you describe, that your local group is in
need of just such a wake up call.  Alternatively, start a guild.  You do not
need approval from your shire or anyone else to do this.

I would gently point out that one's clothing does not determine whether one is
noble or not.  There were many poor noblemen in the Middle Ages. Wealth does
not a nobleman make.;
>From your post, I assure you that in my eyes you are truly a lady. :-) If you
are ever at Pennsic or any other event where I happen to be, please stop by
the Mountain Confederation or Caer Fig and you will leave knowing what it is
truly like to be treated as a noble woman.. :-) Just ask for al-Sayyid  Ras.

Ras