SC - period items

Wed Nov 4 04:09:37 PST 1998

> Our British cousins use the term 'vegetable marrow', which may be some
> sort of squash.  Reading the word 'marrow' made me wonder when that word
> came to be used for a veggie as well as the rich stuff inside bones.
> Haven't actually read anything tonight that I think could be the veggie,
> but it's nice to know these things.
>

> Regards,
>
> Allison

The giant marrow looks like a dark green pumpkin with orange or yellow meat.
It shows up in Italian Renaissance paintings during the 16th Century.  It is
a cucurbita and may be an early adoption from the Americas.

Wilson in Food and Drink in Britain places marrows as part of the diet of
Roman Britain.  This suggests that the term is used to describe varieties of
bottle gourds and squash, creating an "interesting" problem in nomenclature.

Bear