SC - period pigs, fatter or not?

Wed Nov 4 08:24:22 PST 1998

> we came to the following consensus...
> 1. when I say free range, all Imean is not lot fed. Ras wasnt sure I was
> including herded piggies, which I was (ahhhh....language!)

The difference as I see it is foraging as opposed to grain fed.  For most of
"period", pigs were foragers, with possibly a little grain feeding before
slaughter.

> 2. period pigs are a different shape than modner lot fed pigs.

Have you taken into account the introduction and inter-breeding of Chinese
pigs in the 18th Century.  If I understand the few comments I have read
correctly, these pigs were fatter and had a different shape that were
brought into the European breeds at that time.

> Ras, did I get that right?
> --AM

Here we go again. :-)

Bear