SC - period pigs, fatter or not?

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Wed Nov 4 08:32:14 PST 1998

In a message dated 11/4/98 11:27:28 AM Eastern Standard Time,
TerryD at Health.State.OK.US writes:

<< Have you taken into account the introduction and inter-breeding of Chinese
 pigs in the 18th Century.  If I understand the few comments I have read
 correctly, these pigs were fatter and had a different shape that were
 brought into the European breeds at that time.

 > Ras, did I get that right?
 > --AM

 Here we go again. :-) >>

I there a historical list for animal husbandry? The entire subject is much to
massive for a cooking list, IMO. Be that as it may, my previous quote from
Platina just about says it all with little need to bring stodgy Victorian pigs
into the equation. You are correct but only in certain breeds. There genetic
material was not transferred to all pig breeds. There a a multitude of breeds
and body shapes in pigs, each having it's own particular uses......blah, blah,
blah, etc., etc.

Ras