SC - Medieval Milk

Susan Browning swbro at mail.telis.org
Sat Nov 7 20:39:57 PST 1998

>Now, back to medieval food stuff...do you guys think that modern grocery
store milk is anything like real medieval milk? Why or why not?

Not.  I grew up on raw cow's milk.  We (me as little as possible) did the
milking, poured the warm milk through a large funnel like strainer with a
filter similar to a coffee filter, and poured it into jars.  A totally
different flavor, smell and texture than store bought milk.  For one thing,
you had to stir the bits of cream back into the milk as you drank.
Hope this helps.

Eleanor d'Aubrecicourt