SC - Frozen Bread Dough (Was: Bread Soup Bowls)

Korrin S DaArdain korrin.daardain at juno.com
Sun Nov 8 14:17:59 PST 1998

On Sat, 7 Nov 1998 09:34:25 EST CONNECT at aol.com writes:
>Your pardon if this has been discussed recently and I missed it.
>I need 100+ individual bread bowls. To save money for our Barony, I'll
>be making them from scratch. I plan to raise the dough and then freeze
>them. What's the best way to do this?
>Should I raise the dough, once, divide and freeze? Twice and freeze?
>Twice, bake for 5-X minutes, and then freeze?
>(I have the counter space to raise the dough a second time on the day
>of the event, but I'm not sure if yeast survives freezing?)
>Anyone who's done this successfully and would care to share your
>secrets, I'm very eager to learn! <grin>
>Yours gratefully,
>Rosalyn MacGregor
>(Pattie Rayl)

I posted this back in January, but seeing as we have new members hear it
is again.

This is a chart that my father had given me reguarding cooking and bread.
He has always had fun experimenting with breads over the years and came
up with the following chart on cooking by measuring the internal
temperature of things. I hope this helps and according to the chart one
should be careful not to freeze the bread dough too cold or it will not
bake properly.

Temperature Measurements For Baking
212F: Pie Done
190F - 200F: Bread done, Core Measurement
150F: Hot pastry ideal temp & scald milk, kills protease for better yeast
growth
140F: Reheat stale bread to refresh
110F - 115F: Proofing yeast grows best
074F - 080F: Dough rises best
046F: Bread stales 6x faster than at 86 degrees
020F: Store frozen dough
000F: Frozen dough yeast dies

Enjoy,

Korrin S. DaArdain
Kitchen Steward of Household Port Karr
Kingdom of An Tir in the Society for Creative Anachronism.
Korrin.DaArdain at Juno.com
http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/Vineyard/1709