SC - Deboning fowl

Marilyn Traber margali at 99main.com
Mon Nov 9 11:20:09 PST 1998

When I make a ballotin of chicken, I rap the long bone of the leg at the halfway point
and cut the shoulder joint og the wing, leaving the wings and the knobby end of the leg
bones attatched to the skin, then I bone out the rest of the bones, fill the whole
shebang with whichever stuffing I am using and truss it very carefully to look like an
untouched bird. When it is done poaching, I pop it under the broiler to dry out and brown
the skin to more resemble a roasted fowl and serve it after very carefully removing the
trussing string. It is cute to see reactions when you carve it in a very nontraditional
way, and there are no bones. It also will better serve 8 people without having some
people going short. I suppose I could just take the bulk of the chicken meat away, and
stuff the skin/wings/leg ends with a light colored sausage, and make mock wings and leggs
to go with a rolled chicken skin to have 2 birds from one...a bit easier than trying to
skin the wings and legs.

margali
[maybe i'll give it a go, I have a half truffle left to use up before the end of the
week]