SC - ordering a brewing kit to start brewiing and supplies

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Nov 9 19:58:50 PST 1998

Andy asked:
> What does everyone recommend to start brewing? As in a home made kit or one
> offered by a brewery supplier?
> What should a kit contain. Also where is a good place to look for recipes?
> does amazon.com sell Cindy's books?

It depends on what you want to brew. Wines? Beer and Ale? Cider? Mead? The
equipment needed for each of these will differ somewhat. If you don't have
a particular choice, my recommendation would be mead as I've found that the
easiest to do. But you will need to have more patience than for say cider
since the meads usually must age longer.

While I don't think any of my files gives a set of supplies for a brewer's
kit, you might check this file in the BEVERAGES section for books and
equipment suggestions for brewing:

brewing-msg       (43K)  6/29/98    General brewing info and sources.

As far as recipes, you might want to take a look at these other files
in that section:

beer-msg          (74K)  8/25/98    Making beer, period beer and ale. Hops.
beverages-msg    (102K)  9/17/98    Beverages in general. alcholic drinks.
cider-art         (23K) 10/31/95    Article on brewing ciders.
cider-msg         (36K) 10/29/98    Apple and other ciders. Cider presses.
mead-msg         (113K)  8/ 5/96    Making mead. Honey based alcoholic beverage.
wine-msg          (91K)  9/14/98    Medieval wines.

For more unusual beverages, take a look at these files:

kumiss-msg        (26K)  6/24/98    Mongol drink made from mare's milk.
kvass-msg         (51K)  4/23/98    Russian drink made from bread or grains.

My Florilegium files can be found on the web at:
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net