SC - making sausages

Kathleen Ashcraft kallie at zebra.net
Wed Nov 11 05:16:58 PST 1998

Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> My own experience has been that it's best to twist the links in
> alternating opposite directions, and tie them with a continuous length
> of string, roughly 1 1/2 times as long as your string of sausage. Have
> you ever examined the way a butcher ties up a roast, using one piece of
> string? It's a lot like that. Use one end to tie the end of your
> casings, even if you've knotted the casings. (Don't fill them too full,
> but be sure there are no air bubbles, which are easier and better to
> expel before sealing the ends than to prick the thing full of holes.

An alternative to this, if you're using natural casing, is to take one of the
casings that end up with pinholes in it (and one will, rest assured), and trim
out about 6 to 8 inches to either side of the pinhole, then slice the casing
into thin strips and use these to tie between links.  Works for me.
wajdi