SC - Still Looking for Powder Douce

Phillippa Venn-Brown p.vbrown at tsc.nsw.edu.au
Thu Nov 12 03:53:47 PST 1998

Dear Morgan

>From my research Powdre Douce can be a bit of a movable feast. It is a
mixture of ground sweet spices, usually about 2 parts cinnamon:1 part
nutmeg: 1/2 part ground cloves (depending on your taste): 1 part ground
sugar. It can or not contain 1 part ground ginger/galangale. I tend to use
this mixture a lot (mundanely and in SCA cooking) so make it to fill a
1quart preserving jar. Kept air tight the flavours meld and improve with
age. Sometimes I decant it into small jars and add them to Christmas
hampers for my cooking friends.

Powdre Forte is a similar blend but has pepper and mace replacing the sugar
and slightly more ginger.

As I say, these amounts are personal preferences which I have found work
well but some recipes in Two Fifteenth Century Cookbooks and Curye on
English specify the mixtures and amounts for the powdres Douce and Forte. I
am sorry that I cannot be more specific but I am at work and my cookery
books are an hour and a half and two shifts away.

if you want more specifics let me know.

Filippa Ginevra

> From: Melissa Martines <mmartines at brighthorizons.com>
> To: 'Cooks' <sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG>
> Subject: SC - Still Looking for Powder Douce
> Date: Thursday, November 12, 1998 3:27 AM
>
> I posted a question earlier this week asking what the ingredients in the
> spice mixture powder douce are and haven't got any answers yet.
Adamantius,