SC - Stuff inside bread (was: Bread Soup Bowls)

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Fri Nov 13 13:21:08 PST 1998

At 10:46 PM -0800 11/10/98, Laura C Minnick wrote:
>... In one area, there is
>two men and a woman looking over a crenellated edge at the scene below,
>and one of the men is holding in his hand what I can only describe as a
>Hostess Fruit Pie- you know, the half-moon shape, filled, and crimped
>along the rounded edge. Given the particular contortions his face is in,
>it looks as though he's eating, so I would gather he's nibbling on his
>pie. What might be in the pie, I don't know.

Maybe this?

Ryschewys Closed and Fried
Two Fifteenth Century p. 45/97

Take figs, and grind them small in a mortar with a little oil, and grind
with them cloves and maces; and then take it up into a vessel, and cast
thereto pines, saunders and raisons of corinth and minced dates, powdered
pepper, canel, salt, saffron; then take fine paste of flour and water,
sugar, saffron and salt, and make fair cakes thereof; then roll thine stuff
in thine hand and couch it in the cakes and cut it, and fold them in
ryshews, and fry them up in oil; and serve forth hot. [end of original,
spelling modernized]

25 black mission figs
2 t oil
1 t cloves
1 t mace
1/4 c pine nuts
1/4 t saunders
1/3 c currants
5 1/2 oz dates
1/8 t pepper
1 t cinnamon
1/4 t salt
4 threads saffron
pastry:  2 c flour, 1/2 c water, 1 T sugar, 1/8 t salt, 1 thread saffron
more oil for frying

Chop dates. Grind figs with oil cloves, and mace, then mix with rest of
filling ingredients. Mix pastry ingredients; take a lump of dough and roll
out into a flat circle about 4"-5" across. Put some filling on, fold the
circle in half and seal the edges. Fry them in oil, flipping them over when
the first side is done.

I think some versions of this recipe call them "rischews is lent" which
implies that there is a meat-day version as well, though I don't have a
recipe.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook