SC - Venison

Valoise Armstrong vjarmstrong at aristotle.net
Tue Nov 17 04:45:06 PST 1998

Lady Elsbeth wrote:

>	I have an odd request..I need some good medieval recipes for roasts
>of venison. I am not picky about the method of cooking...it can be on
>spit, or in a conventional oven, but I am getting desperate for some
>variety.

Not an odd request at all. Here are a couple of venison recipes from Sabina
Welserin. You might also think about mincemeat pies. One of my first SCA
cooking experiences was making mincemeat pies from scratch. IIRC (this was
15 years ago and my memory isn't what it used to be) the recipe called for
moose or some such beast but, those being nonexistent in central Texas, we
substituted beef. Best mincemeat I ever ate. I know I've seen recipes for
game pies in German sources. I don't have time to look them up now, but if
you like, I can do it this evening.

Here are Sabina Welser's venison recipes:

7   To make a sauce in which to put a haunch of venison

	Lard it well and roast it and make a good sauce for it. Take Reinfal and
stir cherry syrup into it, and fry Lebkuchen  in fat and chop good sweet
apples, almonds, cloves, cinnamon sticks, ginger, currants, pepper and
raisins and let it all cook together. When you want to serve it, then pour
the sauce over it. It is also for marinating a boar's head. Then cook it in
two parts water and one third vinegar. The head of a pig is also made in
this manner.

167   To make venison sausage

	Take the liver and the lungs from a red deer, also good roast meat and
deer fat, bacon, spices, saffron, ginger and mace as well, chop it all
together and cook the sausage in a suitable broth.

Valoise